Thursday, October 8, 2009

Yogurt / Oregano Oil Experiment

Everywhere on the web I have read that oregano oil acts as an “antibiotic” in that it indiscriminately kills all bacteria and consequently the gut must be repopulated with ‘good’ bacteria to replace what the oregano oil has killed. I have trouble accepting this premise in that first of all, if this were true, how could the oregano plant survive? All of life depends on bacteria to thrive and if the blood (oil) of the plant killed everything it contacted, the plant would die as well. To prove that oregano oil is a discriminating oil unlike man-made antibiotics, I injected high doses of oregano oil into a partial batch of yogurt cultures which I then used to make homemade yogurt. After twenty four hours, I tested both batches of yogurt for taste, consistency and texture and found both batches to be identical in all aspects. The oregano oil flavored yogurt was delicious with a savory, yet sour taste and a wonderful consistency which indicated the presence of live yogurt cultures. Being a layman, I did not use a microscope to confirm the presence of yogurt microbes but the yogurt had every indication of the presence of live yogurt cultures using my tastes buds, my sense of smell and my eyes. Amazingly, the oregano oil infused yogurt was preserved for one full month in my fridge before I finally enjoyed the last of it. Consequently, I would surmise that oregano oil has intelligence as an essential oil in that it is able to discern between good and bad, working holistically and synergistically to support the life systems it contacts with minerals, vitamins and antioxidents while destroying pathogens with it’s other unique chemical compounds and constituents.

No comments:

Post a Comment